Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Polish Artists - Valentina tributes to Promote Fantagraphics Crepaxcollection

Dear friends and artists,
I've decided to create a Facebook Professional account to promote your awesome Tributes to Valentina to promote Fantagraphics Crepax collection.
https://www.facebook.com/manuel.faria.754918
 Don't judge me wrong, I love you all a lot and I sincerely apreciate all your support with some of my ideas, but I need to split in my mind what's Professional and what's personal in order to gain more focus in the work that I do, be it curating exhibitions, book collections, interviews, presentation videos, prefaces to books or book presentations.
I'll organize the tributes by artist in alphabetical order and put each artist in bold to be easier for you to see your tributes and where they were exhibited along your quotes about the character Valentina and your Biography aswell.
 Many thanks to all of you for all your work and hope that you continue to support some of my ideas.
 Special thanks to Gary Groth, Caterina Crepax and my muse and source of inspiration, my kitty Ilvie that was stolen from my sight recently.

Bartosz Jekiel​"Guido Crepax's line has this unique, elegant style; when you open one of his books you know you're looking at Master's work." 
Biography
Bartosz Jekiel was born in Poland, raised surrounded by ubiquitous surreal images of Polish theater posters. He communicates with the world using simple tools like the pencil or pen and ink, trying to reveal his subject’s state of mind or soul; be it a dreamless void or melancholy, scratching on the surface of the 'real'. Bartosz’s artwork has found a place in many private collectors’ houses. In 2013 he and his two collaborators Jakub Chwieszczenik and Tom Wieja have created an artistic trio and released a graphic novel called Stories In Red, which was successfully funded via Kickstarter. He currently lives in Keynsham with his wife Joanna and son Noah, working on the next TRESLETTRES graphic novel.

Exhibited at Finland - Helsinki - comic book festival - 2016 



Not yet exhibited 




Chris Chalik - 
Biography
Chris Chalik is an independent comics artist, illustrator, concept artist and graphic designer. Born in November 1973 in Zgorzelec on the Polish-German border into a family with German and Russian roots. Since 2003 he has been living and working in London. His work is characterized by dark, anxious and mysterious vibe. There is no doubt we can see in his illustrations huge influence of his favorite artists such as David Lynch, Alfred Hitchcock, Alex Proyas, Alfred Kubin or Philip K. Dick. Since the beginning of last year he has been working as a freelancer, he has done many projects through one of the London based Illustrators Agencies Bright. He created illustrations for Publishing Houses such as: Random House Publishing, QED Publishing, Collins Big Cat. He also co-operates with advertising agencies in different countries working mainly on storyboards for TV commercials. The other area he is involved in is concept art for video game industry. He is co-author of ‘Shadow Healer’ the graphic novel which has been published in USA by Monofonus Press an Austin-based record label and multimedia organization. In 2011 he won third prize for his short comic story about Economy. Competition was organized in Poland by FOR a well known non-profit organization founded by Leszek Balcerowicz.


Not yet exhibited 



Joanna JoKa Karpowicz"Crepax turned black ink into a woman full of life. And then he gave her soul, made her feel joy and suffer. Truly Godlike action". 
Biography 
My name is Joanna Karpowicz. I was born in 1976. I’m a painter, illustrator and comics artist from Cracow, Poland. I studied painting at the The Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow, the oldest artistic university in Poland. I finished my studies in 2001, with a master’s degree.
Emotionally, I’m close to Hopper’s voyeurism and the works of other charming men of character: Beckmann, Buffet or Hockney. When painting, I “summon ghosts” – memories of people I’ve met, places I’ve seen and the emotions generated by those encounters. Things that are or have been I place in an imaginary frame as realism is of secondary concern to me, more important is mood of a particular moment. I often reference films, literature, music. There’s a big influence of illustration in my paintings – and the other way around.
I like night scenes, light painted from the point of view of darkness and the false sense of security that artificial light brings. I want to bring these impressions to the canvas. I’m inspired by travel, the lethargic mood of the night shift – small towns, road side bars, motels, empty hotel lobbies. Persistently return leitmotifs: falling snow, a burning cigarette, cars, palm trees, city neon lights. The interpretation of the scenes I leave to the viewer, in the hope that this will create a separate, new and individual story.
As for now I published three comic albums: “Szminka” (2003), “Jutro będzie futro” (2004) and “Postcards from Bialystok (2012). You can also find my comic works in various anthologies and comic magazines.

Exhibited at Finland - Helsinki - comic book festival in 2016



Not yet exhibited 



Not yet exhibited 



Magdalena Minko​ - “When I think of Valentina, a fragment of a poem by Stanisalw Grochowiak immediately comes to mind: 
„You aren't for me either thyme or rose,
Not "tender moment in the moonlight"-
but you're dark wind,
but you're white frost... ;”
Biography
Freelance illustrator, cocnept artist and set designer living and working in Poland. She has studied art history at the University of Warsaw and graduated from Warsaw Fine Arts Academy from the faculty of Scenography. She has collaborate as a designer with cultural and artistic institutions in Poland (as Polish Television and Academy of Music in Gdansk), with a special focus on opera, film and events. From 2009 worked as illustrator with QFANT Magazine - e-zin created by a group of friends, geeks and writers. 
She is interesting in Game Development, the history of Japanese Cinematography and American 'New Wave' Cinema. 
Always has a sketchbook close at hand  to draw as much as she can - studynig and retelling reality through images. 
gallery : https://mminko.artstation.com/

Exhibited at Finland - Helsinki - comic book festival in 2016 



Not yet exhibited


Mateusz Skutnik - 
Biography
 I’m an independent game developer and graphic novelist.

Telling stories – that’s the thing I want to do in my life. Whether through comics or games – both mediums work fine for me. I’ve got lots of stories in my head, and I’ll keep serving them to whoever wants to listen in whichever form.

Not yet Exhibited 



Truscinski - 

Not yet Exhibited 

Wojciech StefaniecValentina dreaming with Poland
Biography 
(b. 1980) - graduate of visual arts education at the Pomeranian Academy in Słupsk. 
The author of many covers for books, music albums and newspapers, illustrator and - last but not least - comic artist. 
Winner of numerous awards, including the award for the best comic artist by Polish Comic Book Association (2011), 1st award for the best newspaper cover given by Polish journalists (2011), award for the best comic book by Polish Comic Book Association (2014) and several awards for short stories. 
The author of multiple comic books and graphic novels: “Alveum” (Timof Comics, 2007), “Dom żałoby #3,4” written by Dominik Szcześniak (Timof Comics, 2007), “Szanowny” written by Sztybor (Timof Comics, 2008), “Szelki” written by Jerzy Szyłak (Timof Comics, 2011) and “Dyptyk warszawski” written by him and Łukasz Bogacz (Timof Comics, 2013). Also the author of many short stories published in magazines, zines and comic anthologies.

Not yet exhibited 


Exhibited at Finland - Helsinki - comic book festival - 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving Ksenia, Janina and Alexandra